Tuesday, January 24, 2012

An interview with Jamieson Wolf

Please join me in welcoming Jamieson Wolf as he shares with us a little about his writing technique, as well as a wonderfully enticing look at chapter one of his latest release: Reaping Shadows

INTERVIEW QUESTIONS:
1) Links to website and list of books with purchase links.
You can find me at my website

2) How long have you been writing? What got you in to writing?
I’ve been writing for as long as I can remember. The first story that I can remember writing was back when I was eight years old about a camel who wanted a sweater as he found winter cold.

I have always been driven to tell stories. I got into it for escape purposes and the stories I told were always far more interesting than the life I was living.

3) What was your first published book? Looking back, is there anything you’d change about it?
My first published book was The Ghost Mirror, a young adult novel available from eTreasures Publishing. Looking back, I’d like to have written a longer book, but other than that, I wouldn’t change a thing.

4) What or Who has influenced your writing?
Stephen King has always been a big influence in my writing. Anne Rice, Carol Shields, Margaret Atwood too. I hope to one day write as well as they can!

5) Where do you get your ideas?
Anywhere and everywhere. It can be a bit of conversation I hear, a dream, a memory from long ago. Or I just get an idea and decide to go with it.

6) What hinders your writing? (distractions? noise?)
If I don’t have music on, I have trouble just letting myself go. I also have to turn off my internet connection as I surf on the web when I should be writing.

7) What genre are you most comfortable with? What would you like to explore?
I’m most comfortable with m/m romance but have recently begun writing dark horror, which is what I actually started out writing within, but got sidetracked along the way.

8) Are you a by-the-seat-of-your-pants kind of writer, or do you have to use an outline to put your collective thoughts into some semblance of common sense?
I’m usually a seat of the pants kind of writer. I find plotting can be too constricting. I love to see where the story is going to go on its own and let it grow organically as I write.

9) Which of your books is your favorite? Why?
Oh, gosh, I have to pick a favorite? I would have to say Reaping Shadows and The Fruit Machine (both from Breathless Press). As The Fruit Machine isn’t out yet, I’ll talk about Reaping Shadows. Why is it my favourite? Well, because the entire book was so unexpected for me. It went well beyond the short I had envisioned for it and became (I hope) the first in a trilogy.

10) Do you incorporate some of yourself into your characters? Personality traits? Likes? Dislikes?
There is usually a character within each of my novels who is my stand in. I always figure that if I’m not IN the story, I can’t write it. Does that make sense? In Reaping Shadows, for instance, Kale is my mouthpiece. I try not to let my likes, dislikes, etc, influence the character. Instead, I deal with my own issues of self confidence and, for a time, the fact that I had a broken heart that needed mending.

11) What do you think is the perfect hero/heroine? Why?
One who is flawed. If they are perfect, there is nothing they have to go through to help them grow into a better person.

12) What is your latest release? Please share the blurb and purchase info with us.
My latest release is Reaping Shadows from Breathless Press! I’m so thrilled with this books release. (Blurb and purchase info are below).

13) What do you have in the works?
Sometimes too much, I think. I’m working on Knight and Daye Book Two: Blood Magic for Cobblestone Press and a horror novel titled 69B. I’m also working on an app for a collection of short stories I put together.

14) Do you have any suggestions/comments for prospective authors?
Just keep writing, keep trying. It’s a difficult task, writing. It IS work, but the rewards are oh so wonderful. Ignore the naysayers and, if it’s your dream to write, realize that dream. Never give up on yourself.

JUST FOR FUN:
1) What is the sexiest or most erotic thing someone has said to you?
The first one I can’t tell you. The second, that I was too intelligent for my age.

2) If you could be an animal, what would it be? Why?
I would be a wolf, and not just for the obvious reasons. They run alone, but do find a mate from time to time. They are solitary yet comforted by companionship. And may in fact be smart enough to read. LOL

3) If you had super powers, what would they be? Why?
I’d love to fly. I wouldn’t wear tights or anything, but it would save me a fortune not having to buy bus passes.

4) If you could be an immortal, what would you want to be? Why?
I’d be a vampire. They still look alive and well and just need a drink from time to time.

5) If you could change three things in the world, what would they be? Why?
Ignorance, greed and stupidity. LOL

6) What would be a perfect date for you?
Friday the 13th.

No, seriously, a quiet evening with a bottle of wine, a pizza, a good book, my iPad and my sex boyfriend. And not necessarily in that order. LOL

7) Is there anywhere you’d like to visit? Why?
I’d love to go to Egypt. I’ve studied Egyptology for years and would love to see the Pyramids’.

8) Do you have any obsessions? What are they?
Books, coffee and candy. And more books. Oh, and Harry Potter. LOL

9) Do you have a crush on any actor/actress? Who?
Love Meryl Streep, just because he’s fabulous. And Johnny Depp.

EXCERPT: Reaping Shadows
Genre: Romance, m/m
Publisher: Breathless Press
Purchase
Format: eBook
BLURB:
Death has always been a lonely business.
Darion Muerte knows this first hand. Darion is a Reaper, one of those who gather the souls of the dead so that they can move on. He has been a Reaper for centuries. Accompanied only by his Shadow, a being that scouts for the dead, Darion has not been touched by another for over a thousand years.

That all changes when Darion meets Kale. Though mortals are not supposed to be able to see Reapers and their Shadows, Kale can see both of them. And his dark blue eyes see right into Darion.

Answering the call of passion that sets fire to his skin, Darion gives in to his needs and lets himself experience one night of passion. That is all he can take. And then Darion must make the ultimate sacrifice.

Darion must take Kale’s soul.

Chapter One
He moved like the light. His Shadow moved behind him of its own accord, stretching itself along walls and peeking into windows. It did love to play and it had been in a frisky mood all night

He knew how it felt. He gave his Shadow a sharp, impatient tug and it fell into line behind him, slinking along the brickwork that formed the walls on either side of him, the alleyway dark and narrow. He made his way towards a pool of light from a street lamp.

“We don’t have time for that now.” Darion Muerte didn’t have time for anything anymore. That was the problem. Darion sighed again. “I gotta get a new job.” He whispered. Tugging on his Shadow, Darion whistled. Well trained, the Shadow was at attention immediately.

Darion motioned with his hand and let out another soft whistle. Whereas the first one had said wait for instructions, this new whistle said only one thing: Seek and find.

Darion hoped that tonight’s search would be a short one. He was dead on his feet; that was pretty bad, considering who he was. He looked at his watch and wondered if it was too early for a cigarette break.

While his Shadow slinked along the walls, sensing the heat of those inside the buildings, Darion walked further into the pool of light and took out a pack of cigarettes. He really should quit, he thought. But it wouldn’t make any difference now.

He snapped his fingers and a tongue of flame danced on the ball of his thumb. Darion watched it for a moment, a lick of fire that danced blue then red. Putting his cigarette to the tip of the flame, Darion took a drag and let the smoke out slowly. Closing his eyes, he took another drag and let out a long breath.

Fuck, I’m tired, He thought. “I need a fucking vacation.” He said out loud. “I’d even settle for a night off.”

His skin tensed when he heard the Shadow’s call. It was loud and high pitched. To mortal’s, it would sound like the screech of cats in heat. To him, it was a signal. His Shadow had found a Soul.

Walking with quick steps out of the light, letting the darkness claim him, Darion flicked his cigarette to the pavement where it landed with a shatter of sparks. He didn’t pay attention to where he was going; his feet would lead him to his Shadow. All he had to do was let them.

He had been doing this job for a long time and Darion was tired. He had seen so much death and thought of the last time he had known passion. It had been a long time ago. Death did not deserve passion, only penance.
Darion sighed when the Shadow screeched again, its call shrill and bell like at the same time. Darion quickened his pace and found himself entering a better area of his district, but not by much.

But he had put himself here, asked for this section of town. It was his district now, no matter what he did.

The Shadow screeched again and Darion knew that this time, the call was different. Running now, Darion ran towards his Shadow. He could see it slinking under the window, apparently quivering in fear.

Darion looked at the man that stood in the window and understood the Shadow’s distress immediately. Whereas normal mortal’s could not see Darion or his Shadow, the young man was looking at the Shadow with a curious glance.

And then the man shifted his gaze and looked straight at Darion. Darion’s blood froze. He could feel fear sliding through his body, something he hadn’t experienced in many centuries.

His Shadow looked at the mortal not as if it were about to die; but as if it were something else all together.


No comments: