Saturday, January 21, 2012

Between the Lines by Ivy Bateman

Please join me in welcoming Ms. Ivy Bateman. Today she shares with us her very first release, as well a little info about her writing and what type of immortal she's like to be.


INTERVIEW QUESTIONS:

1) Links to website and list of books with purchase links.

This will be easy! I've only got one book for purchase!

Breathless Press, Between the Lines By Ivy Bateman

I'm very excited. This is my first ebook! It comes out January, 27th/12.

You can also find Ms. Bateman at:
Facebook
Twitter
Blogland

2) How long have you been writing? What got you in to writing?

I've been journaling off and on ever since my aunt gave me a diary for my 9th birthday. I have a giant plastic tote in the basement brimming with angst filled musings that will never see the light of day! I wrote a bit in college, in scriptwriting class and I enjoyed it a lot, but it wasn't until 3 years ago that I started writing with an audience in mind. A local Writer's Group asked if the music store where I work could host a monthly writer's event and I was hooked.

3) What was your first published book? Looking back, is there anything you’d change about it?

As I mentioned in question one, Between the Lines is my first published book. At the moment, and maybe because it's still new, there isn't anything I would change about it.

4) What or Who has influenced your writing?

This may sound a bit cheesy, but the need to be creative drives my writing. If I'm not doing something creative, and writing is the easiest way for me to express myself right now, I get very blue. Writing keeps me sane which is great for the people who live with me.

5) Where do you get your ideas?

It really depends on what I'm writing about. If I'm writing a blog entry I may get an idea from something I've seen that day or done. If I'm working on a short story, when I sit down at the computer, I may only have the tiniest inkling of what I'm going to write. I get in a zone, and things just sort of fall into my head. It's very trippy really.

6) What hinders your writing? (distractions? noise?)

It depends on my state of mind or if I have a deadline. If I'm stressed, everything is a distraction. If I'm in a perfect writing mood, nothing stops me.

7) What genre are you most comfortable with? What would you like to explore?

I really enjoy being silly and making people laugh so I find I'm very comfortable writing in a comedic way. However, I'm a huge Neil Gaiman fan and I love taking a seemingly normal story and twisting it into something very strange and unexpected. I would really like to explore erotic writing with a paranormal twist and yet...still funny...if that's possible!

8) Are you a by-the-seat-of-your-pants kind of writer, or do you have to use an outline to put your collective thoughts into some semblance of common sense?

Definitely the former; more often than not when I sit down to write a chapter, I really have no idea where my brain is going to take me. I love it actually. Some of my best ideas have come out of nowhere!

9) Which of your books is your favorite? Why?

I guess I'll have to go with the only one I've written. But in all seriousness, I am extremely proud of it. I hope people enjoy it as much as I enjoyed writing it.

10) Do you incorporate some of yourself into your characters? Personality traits? Likes? Dislikes?

What does it says at the front pages of a book? All resemblance to real people is coincidental? If I end up in the characters, it's never really intentional and when a character has a trait like mine or behaves in a way that I would, I don't even really notice until I reread what I've written.

11) What do you think is the perfect hero/heroine? Why?

Perhaps this is because I'm a bit of a Lord of the Rings Nerd, but Aragorn is a wonderful hero; noble, strong, complicated, flawed, brooding, but not afraid of showing his feelings for the woman he loves by giving her a big ol' sloppy kiss in front of thousands of people. Sigh...

12) What is your latest release? Please share the blurb and purchase info with us.

My latest release is of course, Between the Lines. It will be available January, 27th, but it is available now for pre-order!

Breathless Press, Between the Lines By Ivy Bateman

Here's the blurb for you!

Lara Munroe is perfectly fine with the characters in her books having better sex lives than she does, until the night she meets Devin Monaghan.
When erotica writer Lara Munroe heads down to the ballroom to take part in an extravagant book launch, she has no idea her path will finally cross with political writer Devin Monaghan. He's smart, sexy, and roguishly handsome, and the chemistry between them is instantaneous. Lara feels her natural guard slip whenever she lays eyes on him. The thought of a night with Devin becomes more than a little distracting.
Devin, who could have any woman in the crowd to share his hotel bed, quickly sets his sights on Lara. He finds her alluring, beautiful, and intoxicating, and his attraction to the erotica writer had started long before their first encounter in the hotel elevator.
Lara and Devin have their careers to think about, a busy evening ahead, and very little chance for verbal communication. However, that doesn't stop them from coming together. They are both authors, and words are their greatest medium, but even they know that when it comes to figuring out how to get exactly who you want, it could be as simple as reading between the lines.
13) What do you have in the works?

At the moment, I'm working on 2 paranormal stories, but outside of my Ivy life, I'm busy directing and acting in a one act play that I also wrote. Once that's over, it's back to the world of erotic tales!

14) Do you have any suggestions/comments for prospective authors?

Write, write, write. I heard a lovely phrase last month that really helps me when I'm feeling blocked "Just get out of your way and you'll be able to create." The inner critic is an annoyance we all deal with, but the more you write, the easier it is to ignore that demon and really love what you're doing.

JUST FOR FUN:

1) If you had super powers, what would they be? Why?

It's cliche, but I'd love to fly. However, if I couldn't get that ability, I'd settle for super speed. And super strength. Those could be handy when it comes to helping friend's move.

2) If you could be an immortal, what would you want to be? Why?

I have a thing for vampires, but I don't know if I'd want to be one. Perhaps an Elf...again we go back to Lord of the Rings...beautiful, wise, graceful, crafty...I could get used to that.

3) What would be a perfect date for you?

A perfect date is exactly what my last anniversary was: pizza, wine and a great movie.

7) Is there anywhere you’d like to visit? Why?

I would love to visit Ireland and Scotland mostly because I have a lot of roots there. I'd also like to place my hand on a piece of really ancient history. You can't really do that in Canada.

8) Do you have any obsessions? What are they?

I guess I'd have to say that I'm obsessed with the TV show Corner Gas. It makes me very happy and I never tire of it.

9) Do you have a crush on any actor/actress? Who?

When I read this question out loud to my husband he just laughed...yes I suppose I do.  Not serious crushes...just for fun. To name a few...Christian Bale, Viggo Mortenson and Michael Fassbender. They are all, not just lovely to gaze at, but fantastic actors.

EXCERPT:
She felt herself grow hot—she knew she was blushing, and she should at least acknowledge his presence, but she couldn't. Devin...she'd completely forgotten the unbelievably sexy Irish writer was one of the seven authors launching a book tonight!

For some time now, she had been hoping to meet him and, had she remembered Devin was part of the book launch, she would have steeled herself for this moment. Ever since Isaac introduced her to Devin's work, she had developed a crazy, high-school crush on him. She loved his rough-around-the-edges good looks and often gazed hungrily at his author photo on the back cover of his books—cigarette in hand, sometimes smiling, sometimes not. Lara usually found smoking to be a turn off, but this didn't seem to be the case when it came to Devin. He had beautiful hands and sexy eyes. When he held a cigarette, it looked as though he was making love to it. Lara found him irresistible.

She snuck a glance at him in the reflective elevator wall. He was lovelier than his publicity photos had ever captured. He was looking at the floor and grinning slightly, a dimple adorably apparent on his right cheek. He ran his hand through his mop of dark brown hair. It gleamed in the light, begging to be touched. Lara immediately pictured his head working its way down her body, her hands tugging at his locks, maybe pushing it to go even lower...

Lara quickly stopped her imagination from running wild and was about to look away when he looked up and met her eyes in the glass. He smiled at her; a shy, slightly knowing smile...one that told her he knew what she was thinking. That was ridiculous. How could he know?

She returned his smile, or hoped she did. She may have just let her jaw drop. She started to attempt a sentence when the door chimed and opened into the lobby. For a moment, neither of them moved; they stood in the elevator looking at each other in their reflections on the wall.

"After you, Ms. Munroe," he quietly lilted.
 

No comments: