Monday, June 27, 2011

An Interview with Karenna Colcroft

Turning Passion into Forever...

Author Bio:
Karenna Colcroft is the naughty alter-ego of a very sedate school teacher and mom. She- well, her mild-mannered counterpart, at least- wrote her first story at the age of five, and was immediately hooked by seeing her imagination printed on paper. Throughout elementary, junior high, and high school, she continued writing, though was too shy to show her work to anyone. By the time she graduated college, she had written over 20 book-length manuscripts, all longhand. *Shudder*

In 2006, on a challenge from a friend, she wrote her first erotic scene and discovered a talent for erotic romance. She began posting her stories on a free site, where feedback encouraged her to continue and develop her skills. Karenna was offered her first publishing contract in January 2009. Since then, she has been published with several e-publishers, including Pink Petal Books, Ellora’s Cave, Noble Romance, Siren Publishing, and Excessica. She keeps losing count of how many books and contracts she has, because she just plain isn’t good with math. So please check her Bookshelf and Coming Soon pages for more information!

INTERVIEW QUESTIONS:
1) Links to website and list of books with purchase links.

Website
Blog

I’ve written a number of books for publishers including Pink Petal Books and Ellora’s Cave; a complete list, along with buy links, can be found on my website.

2) How long have you been writing? What got you in to writing?

I’ve been writing since I was five years old, but of course I didn’t write romance back then! I got into writing erotic romance in 2006, when a friend challenged me to write a scene showing sex as something beautiful and positive. I accepted the challenge, impressed myself with the result, and the rest is history.

3) What was your first published book? Looking back, is there anything you’d change about it?

My first published erotic romance was Ask and You Shall Receive, from Excessica. Reading it over now, there are a lot of things I’d change. Some of the dialogue seems a little “talking-headish”; that is, there’s no action to go along with the speaking. I also didn’t do very well describing sensory details. However, my rights were reverted to me this spring, so I’ll have a chance to redo this the way I’d like it. Then I’ll have to decide what to do with it next…

4) What or Who has influenced your writing?

I can’t really pinpoint any one influence. I just like writing.

5) Where do you get your ideas?

I have no idea. They just pop into my head and I start typing. Sometimes something I see on TV or in real life will give me a seed of an idea, though. Like the story my husband told me last week about catching two people, um, “having fun” on their motorboat in the middle of one of the Boston Harbor shipping channels.

6) What hinders your writing? (distractions? noise?)

Noise can definitely hinder it. Interruptions, whether it’s phone calls or my family. My daughters have the incredible ability to start conversations with me just as I get into the flow of writing, while ignoring me completely if all I’m doing is checking emails or social networking.

7) What genre are you most comfortable with? What would you like to explore?

I’m most comfortable with contemporary. I’d like to write more paranormal, though.

8) Are you a by-the-seat-of-your-pants kind of writer, or do you have to use an outline to put your collective thoughts into some semblance of common sense?

I’m pretty much a pantster, but sometimes I jot down a brainstorm to get myself focused.

9) Which of your books is your favorite? Why?

That’s like asking a parent which child is their favorite. I can’t answer that; I like all of them!

10) Do you incorporate some of yourself into your characters? Personality traits? Likes? Dislikes?

Some of my heroines definitely have things in common with me. I’ve gotten away from that somewhat in my later books, though. I’m trying to branch out and create heroines who are completely different from me.

11) What do you think is the perfect hero/heroine? Why?

To me, the perfect hero is strong and protective, but with a soft side. The heroine may be the only one to see that side of him, but it’s definitely there. The perfect heroine is a strong woman who doesn’t take any nonsense and can survive just fine without the hero if she needed to.

12) Do you have any suggestions/comments for prospective authors?

Keep learning the craft. Writing is something you can never completely master; there’s always more to learn. And don’t give up because of rejections. If you work and learn, you will get where you want to be.

JUST FOR FUN:

1) What is the sexiest or most erotic thing someone has said to you?

I think the sexiest thing is when my husband puts his arms around me, looks into my eyes, and says, “Mine.” He isn’t a possessive guy, but just that reminder that he and I belong together and that he wants me is a major turn-on for me.

2) If you had super powers, what would they be? Why?

I think I’d like the power to read people’s minds. Not all the time, but it would sure come in handy when I’m not certain whether my kids are being honest with me.

3) If you could change three things in the world, what would they be? Why?

I would want to somehow put an end to domestic violence, whether against children or adults. I’d want all the kids in the foster care system to find permanent homes, and I’d want everyone to feel safe in their own homes.

4) What would be a perfect date for you?

The perfect date would, of course, be with my husband. We’d start with dinner out in a nice restaurant, nothing too fancy but someplace where we’d have to dress up. Then he’d take me for a ride in his work boat (he works in marine assistance towing; kind of like a road service but out on the water for boats) and find a nice, secluded place to anchor for a while so we could make love on the boat.

5) Is there anywhere you’d like to visit? Why?

I’d like to visit Lunenburg, Nova Scotia. It’s my mother’s home town, and I spent a week or two there every year growing up. I haven’t been there in almost 9 years.

***
Be sure to check out Ms. Colcroft's excerpt for Reflected Love

1 comment:

Karenna Colcroft said...

Thanks for hosting me, Shannon!